The Original Twelve
In December of 1913, the Village Board of North Crystal Lake passed an ordinance to create a volunteer fire department. The Village needed an organized fire department that would hold regular meetings, practice fire drills, and work together in times of emergency.
“The Herald believes that there will be no difficulty in securing such men, and is confident that the establishment of such a department was a wise move on the part of the board.” - Crystal Lake Herald
- April 1914
On April 21, 1914 the citizens of North Crystal Lake and Crystal Lake voted for the fifth time to unite the two towns into one.
- May 1914
On May 7, 1914 the new Village Board appointed Paul Bertram as the Fire Marshal. Bertram a $50 annual salary to hire and organize his Fire Department.
- June 1914
In June of 1914, the trustees gave Fire Marshall Bertram approval to staff a volunteer fire department and buy necessary equipment. Twenty-five individuals applied to join the department, and Bertram hired twelve.
Fire Marshal Paul Bertram resigned on March 1, 1918 to become the Deputy Fire Marshal for the State of Illinois.