Roundabouts are becoming a more common solution to manage traffic at road intersections. The City is considering several locations for conversion to roundabout intersections, which include:
- Two intersections along Congress Parkway (Exchange Drive and Federal Drive)
- Crystal Lake Avenue and Walkup Avenue
- Three intersections along Golf Course Road (Village Road, Alexandra Boulevard, and Concord Drive/Waterford Cut)
Roundabouts have several advantages over signalized intersections: They are safer and allow more traffic to flow through them. They also accommodate pedestrians and bicycles. Below is more information on these points.
- Studies have shown that roundabouts are safer than signalized intersections.
- Roundabouts reduce overall collisions by 39% and reduce fatal crashes by 90%.
- Please see this handout and brochure for more information.
- Studies have also shown that roundabouts have many operational benefits over signalized intersections.
- Roundabouts increase traffic capacity between 30 to 50% .
- Roundabouts reduce vehicle delays by 89%.
- Roundabouts reduce vehicle emissions and improve fuel efficiency.
- This exhibit shows that most vehicle types, including large trucks, can navigate roundabouts.
- Please see this handout for more information on the operational benefits of roundabouts.
- This handout shows how to navigate through a roundabout.
Pedestrian and Bicycle Accommodations