Current Project Update
- December 19, 2019: The new permanent traffic signal heads will be activated on December 20 in coordination with IDOT. After Friday, only minor punch list items will remain to be completed in the spring.
- December 12, 2019: The mast arms and traffic signal heads were installed over the past week, and the contractor is finalizing the control cabinets and wiring to activate the new signals. The signal heads will be activated after coordination with ComEd and scheduling with IDOT, which is anticipated to be within the next two weeks.
- December 5, 2019: Mast arms for the traffic signals were delivered this week and are currently being installed. The signal heads will be installed in the coming weeks, and all signals for vehicular and pedestrian traffic will be active after coordination with ComEd and IDOT.
- November 7, 2019: Mast arms for the traffic signals are scheduled to be delivered by mid-December. All signal work for vehicular and pedestrian traffic will be completed once the mast arms arrive.
- September 5, 2019: Placement of topsoil and sod should be complete the week of September 2. The new permanent traffic signals will be installed in December due to a supplier shortage and a long lead time on having the equipment delivered.
The intersection improvement of Route 14 and Virginia Road includes an addition of a second left-turn lane on Virginia Road, an addition of an eastbound right-turn lane on Route 14, an upgrade to traffic signal equipment, pedestrian accommodations, and bike lane striping along Virginia Road to Berkshire Lane.
The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) awarded the City $1.4 million in federal Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality funding. The Illinois Department of Transportation and McHenry County will also be financial partners.