Current Project Update
- April 3, 2020: The Crystal Lake Avenue detour on the east leg will be removed on Monday April 6, opening the road up to two-way traffic. The roadway work will also begin on Monday. This work will result in lane shifts. Please be aware of workers in the area and obey construction signage. A detour for the Prairie Trail bike path is in place and will remain for the duration of the improvement.
- March 26, 2020: The Nicor utility relocation and the associated road closure are still under construction. The road closure is expected to end the first week in April. The railroad continues their relocation work.
- March 20, 2020: The closure due to Nicor's work will continue for approximately 2 more weeks. The railroad started their relocation work. The general contractor, Copenhaver Construction anticipates starting in early April.
- March 12, 2020: The closure and detour started on March 12.
- March 6, 2020: The closure and detour for westbound Crystal Lake Avenue is expected to start on March 12. It will last for approximately 3 weeks.
- February 13, 2020: The westbound Crystal Lake Avenue lane closure and detour scheduled for Monday, February 17, has been postponed until the end of February or early March. This detour, necessary for gas main relocation work, is being postponed by Nicor. Nicor's contractor will continue to work in the vicinity. This work will involve periodic lane closures with flaggers on Crystal Lake Avenue west of Main Street. Motorists should expect delays.
- January 24, 2020:Utility relocations prior to the start of the road construction are ongoing. ComEd and AT&T are underway and substantially complete, and Comcast has minor relocation work still remaining. Nicor commenced work in January and has provided the City with the following tentative work schedule:
- January to Mid-February: East side of Main Street that will require daily lane closures.
- Early-February to March: Crystal Lake Avenue/Main Street intersection to East Street will require westbound traffic to be detoured. Eastbound traffic will remain on Crystal Lake Avenue.
- March: Crystal Lake Avenue/Main Street intersection to Williams Street will require one lane of traffic to be closed during the day with flaggers. Parking along this section of Crystal Lake Avenue will also be unavailable.
- November 26, 2019: The IDOT pre-construction meeting was held on November 26.
- November 13, 2019: City staff met with Nicor on November 1 to discuss the project and scheduling. Nicor anticipates starting in the next month, pending final approval from their internal departments. Utility companies will continue their work in anticipation of construction of the intersection starting in spring of 2020.
- Fall 2019: AT&T continues with their relocation work along Crystal Lake Avenue between Williams Street and Main Street.
- September 18, 2019: AT&T started their relocation work along Crystal Lake Avenue between Williams Street and Main Street.
Construction plans are being finalized. Coordination with the UPRR and utility companies is underway. Right-of-way acquisition is also in progress.
The intersection improvement of Main Street and Crystal Lake Avenue includes: widening and resurfacing Main Street and Crystal Lake Avenue, installing a permanent traffic signal, adding intersection lighting, and streetscaping elements. The Federal Surface Transportation Program awarded the City $1.5 million for this project.