Current Project Update
- February 13, 2020: The westbound Crystal Lake Avenue lane closure and detour scheduled for Monday, February 17, has been postponed until the end of February or early March. This detour, necessary for gas main relocation work, is being postponed by Nicor. Nicor's contractor will continue to work in the vicinity. This work will involve periodic lane closures with flaggers on Crystal Lake Avenue west of Main Street. Motorists should expect delays.
- January 24, 2020:Utility relocations prior to the start of the road construction are ongoing. ComEd and AT&T are underway and substantially complete, and Comcast has minor relocation work still remaining. Nicor commenced work in January and has provided the City with the following tentative work schedule:
- January to Mid-February: East side of Main Street that will require daily lane closures.
- Early-February to March: Crystal Lake Avenue/Main Street intersection to East Street will require westbound traffic to be detoured. Eastbound traffic will remain on Crystal Lake Avenue.
- March: Crystal Lake Avenue/Main Street intersection to Williams Street will require one lane of traffic to be closed during the day with flaggers. Parking along this section of Crystal Lake Avenue will also be unavailable.
- November 26, 2019: The IDOT pre-construction meeting was held on November 26.
- November 13, 2019: City staff met with Nicor on November 1 to discuss the project and scheduling. Nicor anticipates starting in the next month, pending final approval from their internal departments. Utility companies will continue their work in anticipation of construction of the intersection starting in spring of 2020.
- Fall 2019: AT&T continues with their relocation work along Crystal Lake Avenue between Williams Street and Main Street.
- September 18, 2019: AT&T started their relocation work along Crystal Lake Avenue between Williams Street and Main Street.
Construction plans are being finalized. Coordination with the UPRR and utility companies is underway. Right-of-way acquisition is also in progress.
The intersection improvement of Main Street and Crystal Lake Avenue includes: widening and resurfacing Main Street and Crystal Lake Avenue, installing a permanent traffic signal, adding intersection lighting, and streetscaping elements. The Federal Surface Transportation Program awarded the City $1.5 million for this project.