Three Oaks Recreation Area Open Water Swim (OWS)
We offer two times for open water swims at the Lake House Swimming Beach:
- Thursday evenings
- Saturday mornings
Our Lifeguard Team and volunteer coaches will set up a 1,500-meter triangular route with corner-buoys, and will oversee the swims in kayaks and/or stand up paddle boards. The swims are organized to accommodate varied ability levels. Beginner and intermediate swimmers can swim at your own pace and all swimmers choose to complete as many 1,500-meter laps as desired before the end of each series.
June 9, June 23, July 14 and July 28
8:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
* While the Park closes at sunset daily, we close the swimming beach at 7:30 p.m. We ask that everyone exit the water when directed.
- Vehicle Parking - $5.00 for non-residents or Crystal Lake Residents without a valid City vehicle sticker
- Open Water Swim Fee - $5.00 per participant (paid at the park). Cash or credit card accepted.
Registration & Check-in
- Begins 60 minutes prior to scheduled start times.
- Meet by the middle Lifeguard station on the swimming beach, straight out from the entrance stairs.
- Short briefing on weather, wind conditions, change in course, etc. and answer any questions.
- We suggest getting there a few minutes early and doing some stretching on your own.
Participant Release Form
OWS Release form must be completed at first attendance. Swimmers under 18 must have a parent/guardian sign this waiver. The following is a link to the OWS Participant Release form. Feel free to complete at home and bring with you to your first OWS. We will also have forms available onsite to complete.
- Wind conditions
- Water temperatures
- Cancellation due to weather
- Other details
What to Bring
- Swimsuit or wetsuit: wetsuits are not required but you may choose to wear one. The water temperature in the South Lake is usually in the high 60’s to low 70s all summer long, which is warm enough to swim without a wetsuit. Should air and water temperatures rise to a level we feel wetsuits are a safety detriment we will make the announcement at the event.
- Bright colored swim cap “REQUIRED” (No cap, no swim) This is important to help you be seen easily by our Lifeguards during the swim.
- Towel (Hot showers available in the Lakehouse locker rooms).
- Warm clothes for after swim
- Ear plugs (optional)
Locker rooms are available with:
- Secure lockers (need a quarter!).
Bike racks available at the southern end of the Lake House building.