Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
To help answer some common questions regarding refuse, recycling and yardwaste collection service, please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions below.
Additional information is available on the City’s website. Residents can contact Prairieland Disposal directly at www.prairielanddisposal.com or call (847) 381-9300.
How do I contact Prairieland Disposal?
- Residents can contact Prairieland Disposal directly at www.prairielanddisposal.com or call (847) 381-9300.
Who is Prairieland Disposal?
- Prairieland Disposal has been in the industry for over 15 years and provides waste collection service for various municipal and commercial clients. You can view their website at www.prairielanddisposal.com, or call them directly at (847) 381-9300.
Will I be billed monthly or quarterly?
- Invoices will be sent quarterly, and residents can pay online, by phone, or through the mail. Automatic withdrawal is also available.
How do I request the Senior Rate?
- Residents over the age of 65 years old qualify for the reduced senior rate.
- Please contact Prairieland Disposal at (847) 381-9300 or at www.prairielanddisposal.com, and provide a copy of identification showing proof of age.
Will refuse, recycling and yard waste totes (containers) be provide by Prairieland?
- Residents will be provided with a 95-gallon refuse tote and a 65-gallon recycling tote included in the base rate.
- Residents may choose different sizes at no additional cost, or rent additional totes for a monthly fee.
- Prairieland will also offer a yard waste tote for an additional monthly fee.
- Residents must notify Prairieland Disposal if a different size tote is requested for garbage or recycling.
How do I contact Prairieland Disposal to exchange my tote?
- Residents may choose to exchange their refuse and recycling totes at no charge prior to May 31st.
- Residents must contact Prairieland Disposal to request a tote change.
- Residents will have the option to change tote sizes once per year at no cost.
Prairieland Disposal can be reached by calling (847) 381-9300 or on their website at www.prairielanddisposal.com.
- Steps to choose the tote size:
- Under the "Municipalities" tab, select Crystal Lake
- Click on the box next to the tote size you would like to request
- Enter address and contact information
- Click "submit form"
Is the collection of one bulk item a week provided for no additional cost?
- Yes. Collection of one bulk item per week is included as part of the service at no additional cost.
Is food-scraps composting offered?
- Residents have three options for composting food scraps.
- Food scraps may be co-mingled with yard waste in the yard waste toters, or residents can choose from two food-scrap composting bins.
- The food scrap bins are $15 and fit below your sink.
- Please contact Prairieland Disposal to order a food scrap composting bin.
Will I receive any additional benefits?
- Two curbside electronics collection events will occur annually. The first electronics collection will be the week of September 10th through 14th. Additional information can be found here.
- Residents will also be allowed to co-mingle food scraps, organics, dog waste and kitty litter for composting in the yard waste container.
- Prairieland will also offer curbside water-based paint collection for a fee. You must call Prairieland for this service.