Welcome to the City of Crystal Lake! We are happy that you have chosen Crystal Lake as your new home. It is our hope that this information will ensure that you are aware of the City services available to you and help create a smooth transition to your new home and community. We hope you see Crystal Lake as a very "Good Place to Live", and we look forward to serving you.
- The Municipal Complex is located at 100 W. Woodstock Street, Crystal Lake, Illinois 60014.
- The normal business hours for City Hall are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
- The main telephone number for all City Departments is (815) 459-2020.
- For non-emergency calls, you may call the Police Department directly at (815) 356-3620 and the Fire Rescue Department at (815) 356-3640.
- The emergency telephone number for police, ambulance, and fire rescue is 9-1-1.
- City buildings, parks, streets, and more can be located on many of the maps available online.
- Parking on City streets is prohibited from 2:00 AM to 6:00 AM year-round.
- City Ordinance requires a vehicle sticker be displayed within 30 days after establishing residency for each car owned, or within two weeks after purchasing a new vehicle. Vehicle stickers can be purchased from the Finance Department. For more information, please contact the Finance Department at (815) 459-2020.
- To establish water/sewer service, please contact Water Billing at (815) 459-2020. When setting up your service, be sure to inquire about the Direct Debit Program. Residents can also pay utility bills online 24/7.
Garbage and Recycling Pickup
- The City's Refuse, Recycling and Yard Waste contractor for residential collection is Prairieland Disposal Inc. Prairieland provides weekly curbside collection of household garbage and recyclables, including collection of one (1) bulk item per week. Please contact Prairieland Disposal, Inc. to set-up an account for refuse service by calling (847) 381-9300. For more information, please visit the City's Garbage, Recycling & Yard Waste page.
Other Important Information
- Building, electrical, and plumbing permits are issued by the Building Division. The Building Division can be reached directly at (815) 356-3605. The Building Division is also responsible for enforcing the City's building codes, housing, pollution control, fire codes, and related regulations.
- In order to qualify to vote in McHenry County, you must be a U.S. citizen and a resident at your current McHenry County address for 30 days preceding the next election. Applicants must be 18 years of age on or before the date of the next election. City Hall located at 100 W. Woodstock Street is a location where voters can register. To find additional voter registration locations, as well as voting dates, polling places, election results, and more please visit the McHenry County Clerk's website.
- The City of Crystal Lake does not have a real estate transfer tax.