- May 13, 2019: Staff met with the North Shore Area residents to review the engineering plans. A copy of the presentation slides are here. Please provide any comments to the plans by Wednesday May 22.
- April 29, 2019: A letter was mailed to all North Shore Area residents inviting them to a public meeting on May 13 at 7:30 pm at Crystal Lake City Hall to review the engineering plans.
- November 7, 2018: Design engineering is underway. The Public Works Department installed a new storm sewer under North Shore Drive near Baldwin Avenue to help better manage the drainage in this area. Final grading and restoration of this area will be completed in the spring.
- October 3, 2018 : Per the Crystal Lake Park District, the berm extension project along the south end of the Lippold Park, north of Crystal Beach and Lakewood Avenues is out for bid. They anticipate awarding the contract the end of October with construction commencing shortly after.
- September 26, 2018: The surveyors are onsite the week of September 24, 2018.
- September 5, 2018: City staff held a kickoff meeting with the design consultant for the new storm sewer. The design is now underway.
- August 29, 2018: Staff submitted a concept paper for the 2019 McHenry County Community Development Block Grant funding program to fund a portion of the construction. A kickoff meeting with the design consultant for the design of the new storm sewer is scheduled for September 5.
- August 7, 2018: Christopher B. Burke Engineering was selected to complete the design engineering and permitting for the installation of the new storm sewer in the right-of-way and BMP basins.
- July 19, 2018: The City of Crystal Lake will be conducting additional tree and brush removal in the area behind the homes on the east stretch of North Shore Drive starting on July 26. The City's work will consist of removing trees more than 10 feet away from the power lines on City property. ComEd has completed some initial trimming in that area and will be scheduling more trimming.
- June 19, 2018: ComEd crews have begun tree trimming in the North Shore neighborhood. This trimming will include the area behind the homes on the east stretch of North Shore. Once they have completed their trimming work on the east section of North Shore Drive, ComEd will take out trees that are immediately adjacent to their lines on City property. Once ComEd is done, we will perform additional clearing on the City-owned property to create a buffer from the ComEd lines to reduce the potential for storm-related outages from trees. Additionally, the City continues its aggressive maintenance of the Cove Pond grates and East Street swale. The City recently hired a contractor to treat the west end of Cove Pond with a water-safe herbicide (similar to how the Park District treats the Lake) to cut down on the waterfoil invasive weeds. This should reduce the volume of weeds that drift into the grate.
- Spring/Summer 2018: The Crystal Lake Park District is in the design and permitting stage for the modifications to the existing berm along the south end of Lippold Park.
- February 1, 2018: City staff met with the residents of the North Shore for a final check-in. View the presentation slides.
- January 22, 2018: Letters were mailed to all the residents in the North Shore Area inviting them to the open house.
- September 21, 2017: City staff met with residents of the North Shore. Meeting minutes are available here. View the presentation slides.
- September 6, 2017: City staff met with the Lake Street Beach Association as a follow-up to the previous meeting. View the presentation slides. Meeting minutes available here.
- August 11, 2017: City staff met with the Crandall/Baldwin residents. Meeting minutes are here.
- August 4, 2017: Letters were mailed to all residents in the North Shore area notifying them of the open house on September 21, 2017.
- August 2, 2017: City staff met with the Lake Street Beach Association. Meeting minutes are here.
- August 2, 2017: Walking tour with the NCLPBIA board. Meeting minutes are here.
- July 24, 2017: City staff met with the NCLPBIA board members. Meeting minutes are here.
- July 18, 2017: City Council presentation to review the stakeholder engagement process to review and refine improvements to reduce the risk of flooding.
- June/July 2017: City experienced successive and extreme rain events leading to the total rainfall for June and July of almost 20 inches, over double the normal average.
- May 2017: City staff reached out to the North Crystal Lake Park Beach Improvement Association (NCLPBIA) to re-initiate discussions regarding area flooding north of the Lake.
- November 19, 2012: Construction of the North Shore Drive project substantially complete.
Many of the homes were initially built in the 1920s and 1930s as summer cottages and three-season homes. After World War II, many of these homes were converted to year-round residences. In the late 1960s, the residents of North Crystal Lake Park Beach annexed into Crystal Lake and water main and sanitary sewer services were extended throughout this area. In the late 1990s, the residents of NCLPBIA annexed into Crystal Lake and water main and sanitary sewer services were extended throughout the subdivision. At that time, the residents declined the installation of stormwater facilities, due to the cost.