The City is committed to addressing resident and business flooding concerns. To figure out what study area you reside in, click here.
- December 17, 2019: The City Council approved City Code changes for the watershed enhancements. The new enhancements will be effective on January 1, 2020.
- December 10, 2019: The City held a public meeting on newly implemented watershed enhancements. You can view the presentation slides here.
- October 2019: The City has completed, or is in the progress of wrapping up, several important Stormwater Solutions projects:
In addition, the City awarded the bid for the construction of the Green Oaks Drain Tile, the Gardina Vista Storm Sewer, and the Cove Pond Outlet improvement. The City has also hired consultants to study Crystal Creek and develop a watershed plan.
- November 2018: The City completed two important improvements: the Mary Lane Storm Sewer and the Honeysuckle Drive Storm Sewer.
- October 16, 2018: The City has made significant progress on Stormwater Solutions. For the latest information, please check out your study area. If you need help figuring out which study area you live in, please click on the Find Your Study Area.
- July 31, 2018: The City submitted a grant application to the IEPA for assistance with the completion of a 319 Watershed Based Plan for the Crystal Creek Watershed.
- February 12, 2018: City Staff met to review information that has been gathered and discuss potential flood mitigation projects. Based on those meetings, each study area page has been updated with specific information.
- December 5, 2017: The City Council approved the Overhead Sanitary Sewer Backup Protection Grant Program. The matching grant program has several eligibility qualifications. Please contact the Building Division for more information.
- November 14, 2017: Governor Rauner announced the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) approved the state’s request to assist people and businesses, in Northeastern Illinois, as they recover from the severe storms and floods that occurred between July 11, 2017 - July 27, 2017. The SBA’s website provides facts about the disaster loan program as well as application deadlines. For more information, click on the SBA Fact Sheet or eligible locations near you.
- September 1, 2017: Watershed Permits Process Enhancements
During the Open Houses, many residents voiced concerns about additional home improvements and/or new homes in their neighborhoods. The residents' argued that additional impervious coverage appears to exacerbate flooding that existing homes experience throughout severe rain events. Staff has researched City ordinances, and we are identifying ways to improve the current permit practices and engineer requirements. In addition, staff members are researching how other communities, built without stormwater conveyance systems, permit additional impervious area.
*Please check back often as we continue to update the Stormwater Solutions page.