Permits and Development

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option



The City has established specific language provisions, which must be included on a final plat of subdivision or highway. Click on the list below to view a copy of the language provisions required by the City.

Stormwater Permits

Stormwater runoff and management is regulated by City Code Chapter 595. For some construction projects and building improvements, a separate stormwater permit is required. Please contact the City Engineering Division if you have questions about stormwater permits. 

Right-of-way Permits

If you are a public utility, and would like to apply for a permit to conduct work in the City’s right-of-way, please use the City’s Accela online permit system. You can access the Accela permit system at

Traffic Studies

As required by City Code section 575, the City of Crystal Lake requires the periodic use of private traffic engineering consultants to provide independent, unbiased evaluations of developments where traffic studies are required or deemed necessary by the City Engineer. Should a traffic study be required, one of the City’s approved traffic engineering consultants must be used.

Performance and Maintenance Sureties 

A project often includes construction of public infrastructure where a performance surety is required. Follow this link to the City code section governing development sureties. 

Please see below for the City’s sample language for letters of credit and bonds. 


Standard Details