Garbage Delay and Water Pipes
No Garbage and Recycling Pickup Wednesday
Delayed Schedule Remainder of Week
Crystal Lake – Due to cold weather as well as closures at the landfill and waste transfer stations, garbage and recycling will not be collected on Wednesday, January 30th and Thursday, January 31st. Wednesday collection will occur on Friday, February 1st, and Thursday and Friday collection will occur on Saturday, February 2nd. Due to the delay, garbage and recycling collection may occur after 5:00 PM on these dates. Please contact Prairieland Disposal at (847) 381-9300 with any questions regarding your service.
Risk of Water Service Lines Freezing
With the extreme cold weather temperatures, the City would like to advise owners and residents of the potential for frozen water lines. Pipes and plumbing in unheated areas and exterior walls are most at risk for freezing.
Here are some suggestions to prevent pipes from freezing:
- Check for sufficient heat in all areas where water pipes are located, and make sure there is no cold air blowing on any water pipes.
- Seal leaks that allow cold air inside near where water pipes are located. Even a tiny opening in these extreme cold temperatures can let in enough cold air to cause a pipe to freeze.
- Open the door to rooms, cabinets, or closets where water pipes are located to allow warm air circulation.
- Insulate, use heat tape, or use thermostatically controlled heat cables to wrap pipes. Be sure to use products approved by an independent testing organization, such as Underwriters Laboratories Inc., and only for the use intended (exterior or interior). Closely follow all manufacturers' installation and operation instructions.
- Let water drip from a faucet installed to an outside wall. Even a slight trickle of water will help prevent pipes from freezing. Please be aware that the water is running through the water meter and you will be charged for this water use.
If you experience a water outage caused by freezing pipes, please contact the Public Works Department at (815) 356-3614 for assistance on how to proceed.