The duties of the Sustainability Committee are as follows:
- To provide recommendations for both short and long term cost-effective goals for the City of Crystal Lake to become more sustainable.
- To provide recommendations to the City Council for implementing projects, policies, programs and initiatives.
- To spread awareness of environmental issues to the Crystal Lake community at local events.
- To hear presentations from businesses, advocacy groups and other sustainability related associations regarding opportunities for the City of Crystal Lake.
- To recruit and maintain a list of volunteers willing to lend their time and effort to implementing the recommended short and long term sustainability goals.
- To coordinate the use of volunteers when appropriate to assist in implementing the projects approved by the Sustainability Committee, City staff, and the City Council.
- To assist City departments in an effort to encourage, where possible and within budget parameters, the adoption of environmental sustainable practices.
- Identify federal/state/local environmental grants for the City of Crystal Lake.
- Prepare an annual report for the Mayor and City Council.