In 2007, the City Council formed an Ad Hoc Clean Air Counts Advisory Committee to assist the City in meeting the goals of the Clean Air Counts Campaign. The Metropolitan Mayors Caucus formed the Clean Air Counts Campaign in 1999. Over 100 local governments, including Crystal Lake, and about 300 businesses and institutions committed to emission reduction measures such as energy conservation, vehicle idling policies, use of non-polluting pain and clean products, and more. The City's Ad Hoc Clean Air Counts Committee met many achievements of the Clean Air Counts Campaign, which included attaining Bronze and Silver membership status.
The Metropolitan Mayors Caucus has since ended the Clean Air Counts Campaign. In efforts to continue to assist the City of Crystal Lake in promoting environmental sustainability within the City, at the November 17, 2015 City Council meeting, the City Council approved the former Ad Hoc Clean Air Counts Advisory Committee to become the City's new Sustainability Committee. The Sustainability Committee will more broadly assist the City with promoting and achieving environmental sustainability initiatives, while continuing their efforts they the Committee have established through the former Ad Hoc Clean Air Counts Advisory Committee.
- Provide recommendations for both short and long term cost-effective goals for the City of Crystal Lake to become more sustainable.
- Provide recommendations to the City Council for implementing projects, policies, programs and initiatives.
- Spread awareness of environmental issues to the Crystal Lake community at local events.
- Hear presentations from businesses, advocacy groups and other sustainability related associations regarding opportunities for the City of Crystal Lake.
- Recruit and maintain a list of volunteers willing to lend their time and effort to implementing the recommended short and long term sustainability goals.
- Coordinate the use of volunteers when appropriate to assist in implementing the projects approved by the Sustainability Committee, City staff, and the City Council.
- Assist City departments in an effort to encourage, where possible and within budget parameters, the adoption of environmental sustainable practices.
- Identify federal/state/local environmental grants for the City of Crystal Lake.
- Prepare an annual report for the Mayor and City Council.
City Staff Representative