The City of Crystal Lake's namesake lake, Crystal Lake, is under the shared jurisdiction of the City of Crystal Lake and the Village of Lakewood, which patrol and regulate the lake.
In addition, the Crystal Lake Park District issues gate keys for their boat launches at Main Beach, 300 Lake Shore Drive and at West Beach, 2330 Lake Avenue.
*Please note that these regulations do not apply to Three Oaks Recreation Area lakes. No outside watercraft is allowed at Three Oaks Recreation Area, but watercraft is available for rental.
Lake Usage & Decal Requirements:In order to place your watercraft on Crystal Lake, whether from a public or private launch site, the following is required. Please note that this includes all types of watercraft, including jet skis, kayaks, inflatables and more.
- You must be a resident of the City of Crystal Lake, the Village of Lakewood or reside in the Crystal Lake Park District's boundaries.
- The watercraft’s registration must reflect the resident’s name.
- You must purchase an Annual Lake Usage Decal at the Finance/Administration window in the main lobby at Crystal Lake City Hall.
- City of Crystal Lake
100 W Woodstock Street
Crystal Lake, IL 60014
Hours: Monday – Friday
8:00am - 5:00pm
What Information Do I Need to Purchase a Decal?:
- Your current Illinois Department of Natural Resources watercraft registration card.
- If the watercraft was purchased recently, you will need to bring your temporary registration from the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.
- Please note, the IDNR's website advises that IDNR Water Usage stamps are available at Crystal Lake City Hall, but they are not.
- They are available at Three Oaks Recreation Area, the Crystal Lake Park District, and the Crystal Lake Walmart.
- A valid driver’s license showing your correct name and address.
- Payments: Only cash or check are accepted.
A boat launch gate key is required to launch your boat from Crystal Lake Park District boat launches. Only Crystal Lake Park District residents can acquire boat launch keys. Boat launch keys can be acquired at the Crystal Lake Park District office located at 1 E Crystal Lake Ave.
| Type of Watercraft
| Human Powered (e.g. canoes, kayaks, rowboats)*
| Non-Human Powered (e.g. motorboats, sailboats, sailboards, jet skis)
| Replaced Watercraft (with old decal)
* If a motor is added to a human-powered watercraft, the higher fee applies.