The intersection of Route 14 at Virginia Road is currently operating at a poor level of service due to the existing traffic volumes. In addition, there are no pedestrian accommodations at the intersection and the traffic signal equipment is reaching the end of its useful life. An intersection improvement is proposed which will add an additional left-turn lane on Virginia Road, an additional eastbound right-turn lane on Route 14 onto Virginia Rd, upgrade the traffic signal equipment and provide pedestrian accommodations where feasible.
Project Contact: Abigail Wilgreen, City Engineer
Phone: (815) 356-3605
- October 25, 2017: The City held a design coordination kick-off meeting with McHenry County.
- October 11, 2017: The City was awarded $1.4 million in federal Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ) funding by the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP).
- June 28, 2017: The City selected Baxter and Woodman as the Phase II Design Engineering consultant.
- May 2, 2017: The City and McHenry County entered into an agreement to share a portion of the cost of the intersection improvement.
- May 16, 2017: A presentation was made to the City Council about the project. The presentation slides can be seen here.
- May 11, 2017: The project will be presented at the May 16, 2017 City Council Meeting at 7:30 PM at City Hall. Time will be made for public comment about the improvement.The meeting agenda is available here.
- Winter/Spring 2017: Preliminary engineering is underway.