|2018 Building Code Update|
The City Council approved updating the City's Building Codes on April 17, 2018. The new codes will take effect on November 1, 2018, with the exception of the Property Maintenance Code, which is now in effect.
The City of Crystal Lake last had a significant update in its building codes in 2008, when it adopted the 2006 International Code Council codes. The City has been reviewing various updates that have been published by the ICC and other agencies since that time.
The updated codes represent the most current advances in life safety building codes. The City is also repealed amendments that are outdated and ineffective.
The City held two open house sessions to present the proposed code changes and to gather feedback from the public and the building community about the changes. The open houses were held February 28 and March 13.
Here is some detailed information about the code update:
- Agenda Supplement for the February 20, 2018 City Council Meeting
- Presentation to the City Council at the February 20, 2018 meeting
- Agenda Supplement for the April 17, 2018 City Council Meeting
- Ordinance Adopting the 2018 International Building Code
- Ordinance Adopting the 2019 International Existing Building Code
- Ordinance Adopting the 2017 National Electrical Code
- Ordinance Adopting the 2018 International Fire Code
- Ordinance Adopting the 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
- Ordinance Adopting the 2018 International Mechanical Code
- Ordinance Adopting the 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
- Ordinance Adopting the 2018 Residential Code
Here is the proposed timeline for adopting the updated codes:
|February 20, 2018||City Council Meeting - Introduce 2018 ICC Building Code Information|
|February 22, 2018||Information posted on City Website|
|February 28, 2018||Open House Meeting, 4:00 PM, City Hall|
|March 13, 2018||Open House Meeting, 4:00 PM, City Hall|
|April 17, 2018||City Council adopted the updated building codes.|
|April 17, 2018||The Property Maintenance Code goes into affect|
|November 1, 2018||All other codes go into affect|
|Give Your Feedback|
If you have any questions about the newly adopted codes, please contact Michael Magnussen, Building Commissioner, at 815-356-3605 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.