The Building Division is responsible ensuring that buildings and other structures are built safely and responsibly. The Building Division:
- Reviews building plans
- Inspects construction work
- Provides technical assistance to residents and contractors
- Performs property maintenance inspections
The City’s Building Codes are technical in nature, and sometimes difficult to interpret. The Division has prepared project guides for many common types of projects and procedures.
Please contact us at (815) 356-3695 or email us at email@example.com.
- Inspections can be scheduled by phone at (815) 356-3605, or in person at City Hall.
- When requesting an inspection please provide the following information:
- Contact name and telephone number
- Building permit number
- Address where inspection is to be completed
- Date of inspection request
- Inspection timeframe desired (early morning, late morning, or afternoon)
- Inspections may be scheduled no later than 4:00 pm on the business day before the requested time.
- Do not leave inspection requests on voice mail; there is no guarantee the request will be received.
- Inspectors will not take inspection requests in the field.
- Please do not email inspection requests.
Lead Paint and Asbestos Safety
Many older buildings have the potential of lead based paint or asbestos hazards. Below are some helpful links to help understand these hazards and how to mitigate them.
Lead Based Paint
- Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) Website on Lead Abatement/Mitigation Licensure
- EPA Brochure on Lead Safe Renovation
- EPA Contractor Handbook for Renovations Involving Lead Based Paint