Code of Ethics
By participating in the procurement process, employees of the City of Crystal Lake agree to:
- Avoid the intent and appearance of unethical or compromising practice in relationships, actions and communications.
- Demonstrate loyalty to the City of Crystal Lake by diligently following the lawful instructions of the employer, using reasonable care and only authority granted.
- Refrain from any private business or professional activity that would create a conflict between personal interests and the interests of the City of Crystal Lake.
- Never discriminate unfairly by the dispensing of special favors or privileges to anyone, whether as payment for services or not; and never accept for himself or herself or for family members, favors or benefits under circumstance which might be construed by reasonable persons as influencing the performance of Governmental duties.
- Engage in no business with the City of Crystal Lake, directly or indirectly, which is inconsistent with the conscientious performance of Governmental duties.
- Handle confidential or proprietary information belonging to employer or suppliers with due care and proper consideration of ethical and legal ramifications and governmental regulations.
- Never use any information gained confidentially in the performance of Governmental duties as a means of making private profit.
- Promote positive supplier relationships through courtesy and impartiality in all phases of the purchasing cycle.
- Know and obey the letter and spirit of laws governing the purchasing function and remain alert to the legal ramifications of purchasing decisions.
- Expose corruption wherever discovered.
- Uphold these principles, ever conscious that public office is a public trust.